Thursday 22 April 2010

Pablo Alfieri / Playful Interview


As part of my case studies of freelance designers I chose to interview Pablo Alfieri. He works on 3D letter form and staged set design on smaller scales compared to Pixelgarten and Vallee - his work has been featured earlier on this blog. Here is response to the questions which i sent out:


Dear Lucy, sorry for the late reply.
and good luck with the studies!
Pablo.-


1. What does 'craft design' mean to you as a designer?

Means to do something analog, leave the computer, work with my hands, get fun and don\t worry about the perfection, because in this world The details on the imperfections are the key.


2. Do you think there are certain elements which digital design cannot
capture, which craft design can? Could it be argued that craft design
has more value?

The value is on the handmade! on how we can't control everything, on the real textures, the behind the scenes, the lights, the set, the papers, the lovely times! The value is that we could leave for a moment the computer, the tool that change everything and the one for hat we are so vulnerable.


3. Do you think your style of craft design represents your personality?

I think that reflect a lot this part of my personality or ideology. Always its more funny or more conceptual. So yes, the craftworks are the more representatives of Playful.



4. What is your material of choice and if your could work with any
material what would it be?

I love to work with lights and different kinds of papers and how they change with the neon lights...The difficulty to work on the dark, the exposure, are very challenges.


5. Before you start designing do you normally have a visualized idea
of what the final outcome will look like?

Yes! I need it! One of the most value things I have in my process is THINK. So when I think, I image the idea and a kind of final outcome.


6. How long does it usually take to finish one project from start to
finish? What is the usual length of time you put aside for making the
sets?

Maybe a day, maybe a week! its not the problem the times, because always when I start this kind of project I don't think or better, I haven't the pressure of the times.


7. What is the size & scale in which you work on when building a set?

is not bigger than a 2 x 2mts. But this when I work on my studio. Will be great to work on outdoors and have more flexibility. But I love to work on little scales.


8. For the final production, do you work in a team? Or take the
project from start to finish on your own?

Sometimes on my own, sometimes with help. But what I'm ding now, is have fun with my friends and mates that want to do a little installation too. so we spend the time together and help each others.



Thank you for your time.

Thank to you! good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment